Key Dates in the History of BUMCSpring 1881
Eagle (now Devon) Methodist Episcopal Church organized as part of Bryn Mawr-Bethesda Charge.
Frame Chapel erected (cost $200) opposite present Devon train station.
Chapel demolished by heavy snow and rain storm.
May 4, 1884
Congregation reorganized as part of Salem Charge and first service held in Berwyn. (Berwyn Hall rented for church services.)
Nov. 21, 1884
Lot 80 x 227 ft. extending from Church Avenue (now Main Avenue) to Waterloo purchased for $600.
March 19, 1885
Berwyn named a separate Charge and first pastor appointed, the Rev. Daniel Hartman.
May 5, 1887
Ground Breaking Ceremony for Berwyn Methodist Church.
Cornerstone Laying Ceremony.
Dec. 30, 1888
Dedication Services for Main Avenue Church.
Feb. 21, 1890
Granting of Charter of Incorporation to "Berwyn Methodist Episcopal Church" by Chester County Court.
April 1, 1891
House and lot directly across from Church property on Waterloo Avenue purchased for parsonage.
This parsonage and lot sold and new parsonage built on lot of the Church fronting on Waterloo Avenue.
Nov. 18, 1923
Pipe Organ dedicated as Memorial to Rev. Alden W. Quimby, beloved pastor of the Church from March 1896 to September 23, 1922.
Excavation of basement begun by men of the Church providing needed space for fellowship and social activities.
Extensive interior renovations made in Church to better serve the growing congregation.
June 27, 1956
Present Church property, seven and one-half acres, purchased from the Misses Coates for Berwyn Methodist Church by Philadelphia Conference Board of Missions and Church Extension.
Construction of parsonage on new Church property begun by the people of the Church under leadership of C. Miller Hoskins, President, Board of Trustees.
Ground Breaking Ceremony for Education Building - Fellowship Hall, under leadership of Howard Williams, Building Committee Chairman.
May 25, 1958
Consecration of new Parsonage and Education Building-Fellowship Hall by Rev. C. Yrigoyen, District Superintendent.
May 15, 1961
Sale of original Church and Parsonage to Trinity Presbyterian Church.
Ground floor of Education Building - Fellowship Hall completed and Parking Yard enlarged and paved under leadership of Allan Weir, Building Committee Chairman. Coates Mansion renamed Asbury House.
Extensive renovations made in Asbury House.
Sept. 7, 1965
First Boy Scout Troop meeting held in new Scout Cabin.
January 9, 1966
Ground Breaking Ceremony for new Sanctuary, under leadership of Ernest Merz and Jacob Fuchs, Building Committee Co-chairmen.
Sept 18, 1966
Cornerstone Laying Service for New Sanctuary.
March 12, 1967
Consecration of New Sanctuary by Bishop Fred Pierce Corson.
New parsonage was built on the church property.
March 17, 2002
Ground was broken on for a family life center.
May 4, 2003
Cornerstone was laid for a family life center.